The BlackBird is the first-ever pedal that succeeds in generating Brownface Blackface-style overdrive tones and works as a flexible tone-sculpting platform. More than just an overdrive pedal, the BlackBird also reveals its abilitiy to function like a true preamp, giving other dirt boxes a glassy Blackface or a spongy Brownface touch.
The BlackBird Overdrive, a pedal that succeeds in generating blackface/brownface-style drive and works as a flexible tone-sculpting platform.
There are lots of amp-in-a-box-style pedals and while some are great, many are less dynamic-nailing one particular type of tone well, but failing flat when you deviate from that path. In this regard, the BlackBird is very different. It nails in an unbelievable way black & brownface tones, from almost clean & light to quite gainy overdrive with natural compression. Specially designed and thoughtfully voiced for those who seek a responsive to pick dynamics with tone clarity overdrive in a pedalboard friendly size.
Placing the BlackBird further down your effects chain reveals its ability to function like a true preamp, giving other overdrives and dirt boxes a glassy blackface or a spongy brownface touch.
• All-analogue electronics audio signal path.
• Authentic vintage amp tones voiced after the Brownface/Blackface amps.
• Powerful tone-shaping Post-Drive EQ.
• High input impedance.
• Centre-negative, 9V or 18V for maximum headroom.
• Silent switching.
• Designed and built in Greece.
< 10 kΩ
Returns and ExchangesThere are a few important things to keep in mind when returning a pedal you purchased. All returned pedals must be meet the following conditions:
- The pedal must be purchased directly from our website (vsaudio.com). We will not accept pedals purchased from one of our dealers or from other sources (other websites, ebay etc.)
- The pedal must be in perfect condition (without scratches, Velcro etc.)
- The pedal must be returned with its original box.
- When the pedal is received the customer has 24 hours to try out the pedal and notify Vs Audio in case of a return or exchange. Vs Audio will inspect the pedal and a full refund will be issued after verifying the pedal’s condition.
- The customer will be charged of the return shipping cost.
- If the customer inform Vs Audio later than 24 hours but before a 1 week period, the pedal can still be returned but a 30% restocking fee will be charged.
- After 1 week there will be no refunds or exchanges.
I received the Blackbird today, just three days after ordering it from Greece. I’m in the UK and had never heard of this brand before. Reviews of the Blackbird were favourable and the price very good. Based on this I decided to buy.
Trust me, after only one day I don’t think the reviews do justice to this excellent pedal. I played it directly into a Hand wired Fender Princeton Reverb Custom. This is a magnificent amp which without any pedals, just a touch of the built in reverb, it sounds amazing. Upon plugging in the Blackbird, the amp really comes to life and fills the air with rich harmonics. Turn off the Blackbird and the amp sounds quite lifeless and rather ‘bland’. I was amazed by this!
I own many brands of overdrive pedals and Klon Klones, but NONE have had this effect on my glorious Princeton.
It does exactly what it is advertised to do. Blackface, Brownface, Tweed, Custom Reverb and any other Fender you care to mention…this thing does them all brilliantly.
As an ‘always on’ clean boost, my amp is pushed to the edge of break-up and the touch sensitivity and response are sublime. Retains that ‘organic’ Fender chime wonderfully. Up the gain into Brownface territory and she starts fo growl. Things become ‘spongy’ when the pedal is cranked and the natural compression shines through. Everything in between is catered for too.
A great quality pedal that is finished to a very high standard, Graphics are very pleasing.
One tiny gripe is the slight ‘pop’ when flicking the gain toggle switch, but this will never be flicked mid song…so not really a problem at all.
Still early days but I cannot see this pedal EVER leaving my board.